Tuesday, February 28, 2006

The problem with iPod Hi-Fi

No video out. And I thought Apple was getting into video with the video iPods.

I just got back from the Stanford Newton User Group. One of our wiser and very tech-savvy members pointed out that a lot of people have crappy speakers in their TVs. The iPod Hi-Fi will give great sound for iPod songs. This member said that one cheap vieo out jack it would have provided great video for iPod videos. And the iPod Hi-Fi already costs $350. What would a video out jack have cost? A couple of bucks?

This member also pointed out that since the iPod Hi-Fi can run on batteries, it might have been nice to be able to carry it without the iPod falling out of the dock on the top.

My comment? When people get enough videos on their iPods, they will want to see them on something other than the tiny iPod display. One lousy video jack woulda done that now.

2 comments:

Rob said...

This is Mid-Fi at best, no way I would consider it Hi-Fi.

For $350, I could build a battery powered system that would kick the iPod Hi-Fi's butt.

Dave Strom said...

I have neither seen or heard iPod Hi-Fi, unless you count seeing a picture on the web. I bet it would sound good, but that price! Apple should have tossed in more bells and whistles (Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, video output).

I have a little speaker I carry with my iBook; runs on 4 AAs; the Cyber Acoustics CA-MP30. Best little speaker I ever used, less thatn $50. Not on the level of the Hi-Fi, but great for small rooms when the wimpy iBook speakers are not enough.

Thanks for your post!