Thursday, January 18, 2007

Colbert & O'Reilly: guess who will bomb?

Steve Colbert and Bill O'Reilly are switching host jobs for one show. That's right, for one night, Steve will be on Fox and O'Reilly will be on Comedy Central.

I bet Steve does fine and Bill bombs. Why? Steve is a satirist, Bill is a bully.

When Star Trek's Captain Kirk and his away team returned from an evil alternate universe (having accidently switched places with their evil counterparts, dang those cranky transporters), Kirk asked Mr. Spock how Spock found out the evil counterparts so quickly, while the good Kirk and friends were able to fool the evil universe people.

Mr. Spock's reply: "It was easier for you, as civilized men, to act like barbarians, then it was for them, as barbarians, to act like civilized men."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't have a TV, so I don't know how this Colbert/O'Reilly thing turned out. It must be on YouTube somewhere. Colberts not as clever as Stewart. But he will do. I sincerely believe that O'Reilly has personality analogues among the worlds human rights violators, or more specifically their political helpers and apologists.

I have managed to install Windows XP on the MacBook 13". Downloaded "The Movies" demo and found that ran ran perfectly fine at 1024x768 at detail setting "Best". Presumably with the full version it runs at 1200x800. I could not see the difference in performance between "Best" detail setting and the one lower down. I'd say it runs fine.

More problems with higher end stuff, for example "Medieval 2 Total War". According to them, it should run ok if you up the Intel GMA (that's the video card) memory usage up to 128MB, which you can do from the BIOS. Luckily the MacBook doesn't have a BIOS, so I am now trying to hack the EFI (which is the BIOS replacement). I don't expect to succeed. I will let the world know if I do, as it doesn't seem like anyone has gone and expanded the MacBook GMA video allocation. It does seem to me that Total War is a bit of a pig as it doesn't even run properly on my desktop which is not graphically underpowered.

Of course, I have no idea how it compares with running it on a MacBook Pro.

Dave Strom said...

Thanks for the comments (I was afraid it was going to be spam!). I really appreciate the info on The Movies and the MacBook; that is definitely a big point in the MacBook's favor.

I have read that the MacBook Pro 15 inch will likely switch from florescent display backlighting to LED, which is brighter and uses less power. I hope that change comes fast and goes to the MacBook. There are rumors of the MacBook getting agraphics upgrade, but that is a lot mroe vague.

Thanks again. If you see me at the cafe again, feel free to say hi. (I am often bad at remembering faces.)

P.S. I did not bother to watch the Colbert / O'Reilly thing. Too much else I want to watch.